You are an interested in applied (IT) security research for resilient and secure (industrial) systems, including network and device security, security architectures, and security engineering aspects? You are also interested in edge/cloud integration? Then apply your knowledge in an innovative and fascinating environment and collaborate with ABB divisions and partners worldwide. Join the ABB family and let’s make our vision of future process plants, factories, and smart buildings a reality, together.
ABB is a technology leader in digital transformation of industries toward autonomous industrial plants, factories, and buildings. In your role as a research scientist, you work toward secure and resilient industrial networks, devices, software tools, and system architectures as a key prerequisite in this transformation. Network and device security technologies such as code signing, zero trust networking, or intrusion detection and prevention play an important role to protect industrial systems. You team up to find innovative ways for interoperable and intuitive applied security measures both in brownfield and greenfield installations. You develop application-driven solutions and apply your (IT) security engineering knowledge, in conformance with industrial security standards and guidelines, to integrate security into industrial systems. You design adaptable, scalable, and sustainable security architectures. Additionally, edge/cloud integration is an important aspect of secure industrial systems.
- You collaborate with international ABB divisions, customers, partners, startups, and renowned academic institutes.
- With your technical expertise, you initiate, guide, and contribute to interesting research projects, and provide consultancy in your field of research to product development teams.
- You share our passion for research in generating new ideas and scouting emerging technologies in applied security, edge/cloud integration solutions, or post-quantum security.
- As part of diverse, multi-disciplinary teams, you design innovative concepts for sustainable security architectures or secure and resilient systems.
- You build prototypes and showcase your work in demonstrators inside and outside of ABB.
- You publish scientific articles and secure intellectual property by patent applications.
- You have the chance to continuously develop your technical expertise and soft skills.
- We value cross-cultural communication skills and creativity, initiative, and result orientation to drive your innovations toward new products and services. Proficient English skills are mandatory.
- For this role, you have an above average degree in IT security, computer science, automation engineering or a related field, combined with either academic (PhD) or professional experience.
- We are looking for a researcher with the following background:
- Experience with network and device security (e.g., IDS, code signing, zero trust networking, trusted computing), and security architectures
- Experience with security engineering (e.g., security and privacy by design, threat analysis), and standards and guidelines (e.g., IEC 62443)
- As a plus, knowledge in edge/cloud integration technologies (e.g., Docker, Azure IoT Edge, Arm Pelion, Kubernetes), or industrial networking technologies (e.g., OPC UA, TSN, 5G)
- Hands-on experience in software development (e.g., C++, C, C#, Java) and prototypical validation of security concepts
- Knowledge in one of the following fields is a plus: domain knowledge in motion/drives or process automation, experience with lean/agile software development processes or project management