Huawei is a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider. Driven by a commitment to operations, ongoing innovation, and open collaboration, we have established a competitive ICT portfolio of end-to-end solutions in Telecom and enterprise networks, Devices and Cloud technology and services. Our ICT solutions, products and services are used in more than 170 countries and regions, serving over one-third of the world's population. With 197,000 employees, Huawei is committed to develop the future information society and build a Better Connected World.
Huawei German Research Center in Munich is responsible for advanced technical research, architecture evolution design and strategic technical planning. The Cyber Security and Privacy Lab is developing cutting-edge technologies, which are designed for supporting data protection and accountability in the Cloud, IoT and cloud-based networks.
To support our research activities, we are looking for two enthusiastic and highly motivated
PhD Candidates for Data Sovereignty and Trust in Cooperative Cyber Threat Intelligence
Goal of the Project-PhD:
Digital sovereignty is a multi-dimensional concept that relates to the ability of an individual, or a state to govern the use of their digital assets according to agreements and regulations. Cooperative (or Collaborative) Cyber Threat Intelligence (C-CTI) is about gated communities agreeing CTI standards, tools, schemes and cooperatively sharing on a “need-to-know” basis and cooperatively analyzing CTI in order collectively improve their cybersecurity without violating the sovereignty or security of the cooperating actors. In addition, C-CTI may also involve cooperating actors who need to participate in the analysis or information sharing and for whom secrecy is important. C-CTI infrastructures can be used to facilitate cyber security operation in digital ecosystems such as multi-organizational and/or international data spaces while data space and secure data exchange concepts may be leveraged to underpin technological innovations that enable the deployment and operation of C-CTI infrastructures and CTI sharing platforms.
This role is about analysing the research challenges and developing algorithms and prototypes that produce technological innovations enabling future C-CTI infrastructures and/or CTI sharing platforms.
As such, the ideal candidate would preferably have strong interest and ideally successful track record of research or practical experience in some of the following topics: CTI, cyber security operations, data governance, cloud protection, data security and usage control
- Participating in Huawei’s internal digital sovereignty projects, and relevant European communities and projects in both digital sovereignty and CTI.
- Contributing to the research and development of technologies in the domain of Digital and Data Sovereignty with a focus on C-CTI.
- Contributing to CTI platform and operation innovations to enable cooperation among C-CTI actors (such as SIRT, PSIRT, CIRT, CERT and other authorities) in order to improve the cyber security of data spaces, decentralized identity infrastructures and other emerging digital and data sovereignty platforms.
- Advancing the state-of-the-art and practice by contributing new solutions and prototypes in the digital sovereignty and C-CTI domains, analyze the trustworthiness, and verification of compliance of the proposed solutions
- Conducting research in novel security technologies related to digital sovereignty focusing on C-CTI
- Dealing with CTI platform and operation innovations to enable cooperation among C-CTI actors (such as SIRT, PSIRT, CIRT, CERT and other authorities) in order to improve the cyber security of data spaces, decentralized identity infrastructures and other emerging digital and data sovereignty platforms. This can include (but not limited to) data protection architectures, data and usage control, CTI standards, confidential computation, privacy/confidentiality/secrecy preserving analytics and accountability.
Complementary to research in the above research topics, the PhD candidate will play an active role in the implementation of proof of concept prototype of technology innovation. The successful PhD candidate will also have the opportunity to contribute to collaborative research and innovation activities with partners Huawei’s innovation ecosystem that includes R&D of top European companies and Universities.
- Completed master studies (or equivalent) in computer science, information technology, electrical engineering, or mathematics;
- Exposure and understanding of data protection and security development technologies;
- Interest /expertise in CTI processes, models and technologies and at least one of the following technology areas:
- Identity Management and Credentials including enforcement of trust negotiation protocols
- Data Security and Privacy including automating data exchange based on “need-to-know” policies
- Data Space infrastructure security including architectures for high assurance data space connectors
- Confidential computing and privacy enhancing computation
- Good programming skill in C/C++ and Go language or Python or Java;
- Passion for finding solutions for complex technological issues;
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills;
- Self-starting and self-motivating, willing to take initiatives and feel the responsibility for your project;
- Must be eligible to work in the European Union to be considered for this position.
- Fluent in English
What you can expect
- Our culture is characterized by innovative power and team spirit as well as the intensive exchange of knowledge and experience within our global network.
- We offer you a competitive compensation package and a broad range of training opportunities. Many online and face-to-face training programs.
- Self-responsible work in a competent, motivated and constantly growing team.
If you are enthusiastic in shaping Huawei’s Munich Research Center together with a multicultural team of highly skilled Engineers and Researchers, feel free to contact us. Driving future technologies focused on the customer experience is our main mission. Apply now!
Please send your application and CV (incl. cover letter and reference letters) in English.