Huawei is a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider. Through our constant dedication to customer-centric innovation and strong partnerships, we have established leading end-to-end capabilities and strengths across the carrier networks, enterprise, consumer, and cloud computing fields. Our products and solutions have been deployed in over 170 countries serving more than one third of the world’s population.
The size of our cloud platform is gaining momentum and it is already planet scale. Huawei Cloud is one of the largest and fastest-growing platforms in the world. It has strong presence with over 40 availability zones located across 4 continents and 23 geographical regions, covering locations such as Germany, Hong Kong, South Africa, or Brazil, among others.
With 18 sites across Europe and 1500 researchers, Huawei’s European Research Institute (ERI) oversees advanced technology research, architecture evolution, design, and strategic technical planning across our network of European R&D facilities. Huawei’s ERI includes the Munich Research Center (MRC), located in Munich, Germany.
For our fast growing Intelligent Cloud Technologies Laboratory, we are looking for a:
PhD Student – Big Memory Services (m/f/d)
The ideal candidate should have a passion and strong interest for building and working with distributed systems. Prior hands-on experience with systems programming and Big Data and Machine Learning systems is a big plus.
Today’s cloud stores host an ever increasing amount of data that users ideally want to query in near real time. The advent of new memory technologies, in particular persistent, byte-addressable non-volatile memory (NVM) is enabling the design of cloud systems where the entire application lifecycle is fully in memory. This scenario dramatically improves performance by eliminating traditional software and hardware bottlenecks (e.g., disk IO, deep IO software stacks, etc.). Having eliminated these bottlenecks, the burden is now placed on the network to deliver on-par performance. Fortunately, novel networking technologies (e.g., RDMA over Converged Ethernet) offer the desired performance. At a high level, this PhD thesis will look at the design and performance of Big Memory systems by taking a holistic approach encompassing fast networks, new memory technologies, and Big Data and Machine Learning systems.
- Perform research and development in the area of Big Memory systems, at the intersection of Big Data, fast networks and novel memory technologies
- Improve data processing and resource efficiency in cloud storage and data processing systems, measure system performance and resource usage
- Track the latest progress of industry and academia on big memory solutions and fast networks.
- Actively participate in academic conferences, and improve the overall influence of Huawei Cloud
- MSc in Computer Sciences or other related disciplines
- Hands-on experience with systems programming
- Should be comfortable writing code in C/C++ and Java
- Some familiarity with performance analysis of distributed systems
- Familiarity with big-data open source tools (e.g. Hadoop, Spark, Flink, Hive, and Presto) and/or distributed machine learning systems (e.g., PyTorch, TensorFlow, SparkML) is a plus. Prior hands-on experience with the internals of such systems is a big plus
- Familiarity with cloud services (e.g., Amazon EC2, EMR, S3) is a plus
- Familiarity with network concepts, in particular RDMA is a plus
- Research experience with some publication record in the area of interest is a plus
- Fluent in written and spoken English
By applying to this position, you agree with our RECRUITMENT PRIVACY STATEMENT. You can read in full our recruitment privacy statement via the link below.
What you can expect
- A broad range of training programs and opportunities.
- Interaction with a team of 40+ industry experts in various aspects related to distributed systems, storage technologies, machine learning, virtualization, etc.
- Access to state-of-the-art distributed systems.
- Close mentorship.
If you are enthusiastic in shaping Huawei’s Munich Research Center together with a multicultural team of highly skilled Engineers and Researchers, feel free to contact us. Driving future technologies focused on customer experience is our main mission. Apply now!
Please send your application and CV (incl. cover letter and reference letters) in English.