Huawei is a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider. Driven by a commitment to operations, ongoing innovation, and open collaboration, we have established a competitive ICT portfolio of end-to-end solutions in Telecom and enterprise networks, Devices and Cloud technology and services. Our ICT solutions, products and services are used in more than 170 countries and regions, serving over one-third of the world's population. With 197,000 employees, Huawei is committed to develop the future information society and build a Better Connected World.
Huawei’s Nuremberg Research Center is responsible for Digital Power Advanced Technology Research, Architecture Evolution Design and Strategic Technology Planning.
The Huawei Power Conversion Technology Laboratory will play an important role in the Huawei Digital Power Business Unit in the design and development of power converters and control systems for applications such as PV, AC-DC and DC-DC power supplies and Automotive Systems. As an employee you will be part of the HUAWEI Energy R&D Competence Center in Nuremberg.
Now we are looking for a:
Industrial PhD in Advanced packaging for high voltage and high temperature applications (m/f/d)
Description of the Activities
The PhD candidate has a great opportunity to participate in top of the line research and development activity in new advanced packaging area of power electronics.
This research activity is focusing on the development and characterization of component embedding concepts for high voltage and high temperature applications. The target is to develop and verify the long-term reliability of new and innovative packaging concept that can be used with silicon and wide band gap components. The concept should be capable to be used with various different types of prepackaged power dies e.g. SiC, GaN, IGBT, etc (up to 1200V, 160/180/200 °C junction temperatures). The main idea of the concept is the prepackage the power die or several dies inside a molded or other type of prepackage that is after wards embedded inside a multilayer PCB board
The main topics of the work are to research, evaluate and characterize prepackage and prepackage embedding concept. The work includes material research, simulation, electrical and thermal characterization of the new package concept and reliability verification of the manufactured samples.
Characterization of the concept e.g.
- Test vehicle definition including test structures for relevant parameters
- Electrical and thermal characterization of the embedding concept
- Electrical and thermal simulations
- Material research and characterization methodology
- Material testing and characterization in high voltage and high temperature applications (PCB material, TIM and isolation material)
- Dependence of reliability from manufacturing/process parameters, material quality (e. g. from curing temperature, pressure, time; ionic contamination of material, moisture uptake of material, etc.)
- Lifetime prediction based on accelerated dielectric stress tests, or combined dielectric stress tests, deducted from mission profile. Allowing fast and effective screening of materials respective optimization of process parameters
Reliability and lifetime prediction e.g.
- Verifying the long term reliability and time depended dielectric breakdown (TDDB)
- Define the possible failure mechanisms
- Dielectric degradation mechanisms and models: partial discharge (PD), CAF (conductive anodic filament), surface isolation resistance (SIR)
Activities will be mainly performed at Huawei Nuremberg Research Center Power Device lab in Nuremberg, Germany and in the selected manufacturing location. Regular meetings will be held with the University with the purpose of analyzing the results and the progress of the PhD.
- You hold a Master degree in electrical/electronic engineering, applied physics, material science or polymer chemistry
- Strong knowledge of power electronics, semiconductor device physics, thermal management and reliability testing
- Good understanding of electronic packaging, including materials, structures and failure mechanism in power electronic devices
- Familiar with statistical methods (Weibull plot, probability distribution) and with Python, MATLAB etc.
- Experience with PCB layout design tools, 2D/3D CAD and knowledge in failure analysis and life time modelling
- Basic knowledge from Circuit simulation (Spice) and FEM simulation (Ansys or Comsol). Additional experience with PCB layout design and simulation is a plus
- Ability to conduct independent scientific work and very good communication skills
- Fluent in written and spoken English, working language
By applying to this position, you agree with our RECRUITMENT PRIVACY STATEMENT. You can read in full our recruitment privacy statement via the link below.
What you can expect
- Our culture is characterized by innovative power and team spirit as well as the intensive exchange of knowledge and experience within our global network.
- We offer you a competitive compensation package and a broad range of training opportunities. Many online and face-to-face training programs.
- Self-responsible work in a competent, motivated and constantly growing team.
If you are enthusiastic in shaping Huawei’s Nuremberg Research Center together with a multicultural team of highly skilled Engineers and Researchers, feel free to contact us. Driving future technologies focused on the customer experience is our main mission. Apply now!
Please send your application and CV (incl. cover letter and reference letters) in English.