Huawei is a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider. Driven by a commitment to operations, ongoing innovation, and open collaboration, we have established a competitive ICT portfolio of end-to-end solutions in Telecom and enterprise networks, Devices and Cloud technology and services. Our ICT solutions, products and services are used in more than 170 countries and regions, serving over one-third of the world's population. With 197,000 employees, Huawei is committed to develop the future information society and build a Better Connected World.
Huawei's Munich Research Center is responsible for advanced technology research beyond Huawei’s product lines as well as strategic planning, architectural design, and development for our products.
The Huawei Artificial Intelligence for Cyber-Security (AI4Sec) Research Team is responsible for forefront research on machine learning algorithms and cyber-security. We invent, prototype, and publish state-of-the-art machine learning-based solutions applied to cyber-security domains that require algorithmic breakthroughs. Our algorithms address open problems in cyber-security, such as network analytics for advanced threat detection, malware detection, and information extraction from unstructured data. In cooperation with Huawei’s product lines, we keep Huawei’s core security technologies ahead of its competition.
Now we are looking for a:
Research Intern (MSc/MEng) – Cybersecurity Research and Data Science (m/f/d)
to join our AI4Sec Research Team in Munich for 6 months.
Depending on the applicant’s strengths and interests, the internship will focus on different aspects of enterprise security analytics such as intrusion detection, log and event analytics, network science, and related topics.
- Study and summarize research literature related to your research project
- Design algorithmic ideas addressing open research challenges related to your topic
- Develop a well-documented prototype in Python
- Conduct comprehensive experiments on internal as well as synthetic and public datasets
- In-depth analysis of security events from a wide variety of cybersecurity technologies such as endpoint security tools, network security tools, and others
- Enrolled in a Master’s program in Computer Science or other related disciplines
- Proficiency in Python
- Basic understanding of security concepts and computer networks
- Basic knowledge of machine learning
- Basic understanding of exploratory data analysis
- Curiosity, great willingness to learn, creativity, and desire to develop things
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- J. Zeng et al., “SHADEWATCHER: Recommendation-guided Cyber Threat Analysis using System Audit Records”, 2022 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (SP) [link]
- J. Lee et al., “SIERRA: Ranking Anomalous Activities in Enterprise Networks”, 2022 IEEE European Symposium on Security and Privacy (EuroS&P) [link]
- P. Fang et al., “Back-Propagating System Dependency Impact for Attack Investigation”, USENIX Security 2022 [link]
- J. Zeng et al., “WATSON: Abstracting Behaviors from Audit Logs via Aggregation of Contextual Semantics”, Network and Distributed Systems Security (NDSS) Symposium 2021 [link]
- A. Alsaheel et al., “ATLAS: A Sequence-based Learning Approach for Attack Investigation”, USENIX Security Symposium 2021 [link]
- F. Liu et al., “Log2vec: A Heterogeneous Graph Embedding Based Approach for Detecting Cyber Threats within Enterprise”, 2019 ACM SIGSAC Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS) [link]
- A. Oprea et al., “MADE: Security Analytics for Enterprise Threat Detection”, Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC) 2018 [link]
What to Submit
When applying for this position, please upload the following documents:
- An up-to-date CV
- University transcripts of your past BSc/MSc exams
- Cover letter detailing your motivation for this role
What you can expect
- Our culture is characterized by innovative power and team spirit as well as the intensive exchange of knowledge and experience within our global network.
- We offer you a competitive compensation package and a broad range of training opportunities. Many online and face-to-face training programs.
- Self-responsible work in a competent, motivated and constantly growing team.
If you are enthusiastic to shape the Research Center together with us, with a very high level of technical innovation, being part of a multicultural team and growing environment, feel free to contact us.
Please send your application and CV (incl. cover letter and reference letters) in English.